Saturday, November 17, 2007

Presumptions

As I sat here this morning, racking my brain for something to write, I remembered something that happened last night. It didn't really register at the time, but I was more focused on the game at the time. I met a lady last night that frequents a place I was recently introduced to online. She also knows all of the new people I've met lately, so I was glad to put a face with the name. Then she asked me a question. "Are you coming to our games because you like our team, or so and so." Now "so and so" and I have chatted, never been on an official date or anything and are friends. He is the reason I first checked out this team out of curiosity. That is where his connection to the team and my interest in it ends. I mean come on, have you ever even met a woman who would drive almost two hours each way to watch a ballgame, in freezing temps, for a crush? To top it all off I don't even SEE this man at games, he's busy. No socializing or chit chat. I mean , really. At the time, I just said "No I like the team, we're just friends" and directed the conversation back to the game because that is what I was focused on. But that was a heck of a presumption. Maybe it's that "woman who likes football" thing. I don't know. True, she doesn't know me, or see me at my house yelling at the TV during a game (which so and so has no involvement in). I guess what irked me once I thought about it was the presumption that a woman couldn't enjoy a sport or a team simply for their own sakes, or that I was so desperate that I'd jump through flaming hoops simply to be in the same vicinity as this man even if I couldn't see or speak to him. Obviously, this woman does not know me at all. I'm sure we're all guilty of making presumptions, so its not that big of a deal. Hopefully it will remind me to be more careful not to make so many of my own.

No comments: