Monday, November 26, 2007

Musings on Orgasms and the Lack Thereof

Okay, boys and girls, in trying to keep my commitment to blog every day in November I have obviously been running out of ideas. However, I thought I'd fly back to the sex topic since it is fitting with our title here, and always fun.
I read yet another article on the big O the other day that made me very grateful. Apparently, many women, not just the friends I eyed suspiciously or pitied, have trouble reaching orgasm. I can't imagine that. I was for some reason given the ability to be highly orgasmic. Could every partner turn sex into a mind blowing, multi-orgasm spectacle? Hardly, but not getting there at all wasn't an issue. When it's good, a few a session isn't unheard of, and when it's great (so far only two in my life) I can lose count.
There is a downside though. Most women know the intensity varies, from "that was nice" to the I can't breathe, here comes another after shock. They are all good, but those last ones are just mind blowing. Just like intensity varies, so do my preferences as far as the actual deed goes. Even in a relationship, there is sex, purely for the physical sensations, and making love - with real emotion involved. I personally have noticed that though I like it all, when it comes to an emotional love making session, I tend to prefer tender and so slow.... taking all the time in the world on everything.
I don't know if it's the emotional side, or the slow buildup, or both that makes the difference, but those mind numbing, earth shattering orgasms tend to come from that kind of intimacy. Just like my preferences for everything, there is a time and a place for both orgasms just like all varieties of sex or love making.
I will admit, though, that I feel guilty for craving those mind/body/soul orgasms when some women are lucky to have any. I won't kick myself too hard though, as I am fairly sure that craving has much more to do with the security and stability of those emotions than anything physical.
I just had to explore that topic because it's pretty foreign to me, not being able to reach orgasm but once in a blue moon. Does that mean they can't on their own, with a partner, both, or what? How sad. I guess it explains another topic that baffles my mind and is just as foreign - women who could care less about sex. I still don't get it personally, but at least knowing a reason why in the world they might not, such as not being able to orgasm much, sheds a little more light on the issue. Which also helps explain my highly sexual self, which is no longer odd just among family and friends, but not nearly as common as I thought within the general public. I guess it's the sexual equivalent of the sensitivity of one's taste buds and development of one's palette in relation to one's appreciation of gourmet food. If you're not getting the full experience, you just don't appreciate it as much.

No comments: