Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Anonymity

Yes, it's a beautiful thing on a blog, as many of us well know. There is one other in life I truly enjoy it, and that is in the act of good deeds. A friend and I were discussing something I was planning to do for a mutual friend and she said "Why keep it a secret? They should know you did it." I guess because it's not about me, it's about them. I don't want to do it for the gratitude, or so they'll think I'm a sweetheart. I just want to do it for them. Doing it anonymously takes me out of the equation completely and leaves the focus where it belongs, on the receiver. Why tell the friend then? I needed the address.
I remember years ago, I was struggling financially, and someone sent me a card full of cash with no named signed. It wasn't any handwriting I recognized, and I would have known the handwriting of the usual suspects. I don't know if they had someone else write the address or what, but I was touched that they took the trouble to think of me. I would have loved to say thank you, but in all honesty, I have a hard time taking help from others. I much more prefer to be the giver. Whoever did it probably knew that about me. Anyway, while I had done good deeds on the sly before that, it really reinvigorated my efforts.
The point of tonight's rambling? If you haven't done it, or just haven't in a while, try reaching out to someone in need and remaining anonymous. It doesn't have to be money, or a huge gift. You never know how much a nice gesture or kind words may mean to someone else. And what better time than the holidays to try to touch someone's heart?

No comments: